Bristol Cultural Development Partnership (BCDP), which leads Bristol Festival of Ideas, among other projects, is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. This policy explains how we use the information we collect about you. By submitting your information, you consent to the use of that information as set out in this policy.
Revising the Policy/
Use and Storage of Your Information/
- We will only collect and retain relevant and essential data.
- We will store your information safely and securely, protecting it from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure.
- We will ensure that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
- We will destroy your information securely.
- We will work hard to keep your personal data up to date.
- We will comply fully with our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which comes into force in the UK in May 2018.
Information Collected When Using the Website
- We collect certain personal information about you if you provide your details when using the website, for example if you register on the mailing list or contact us via a form.
- If you visit the website but do not provide your details as above, we do not collect any personal information about you through the website, although we may track your use of the website using cookies.
- Cookies are small anonymous text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. We use Google Analytics cookies to track anonymous usage statistics and do not collect any personal information that can be used to identify you. This helps us analyse data about webpage usage and improve our website in order to tailor it to user needs.
- Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit www.tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Registering on a Mailing List
- When registering on a mailing list, we ask you to provide your name and email address.
- We use this information to tell you about upcoming Festival of Ideas events and to provide you with news and information about Festival of Ideas.
- We may also use your personal information to inform you by email of other events or activities run by BCDP or which we are facilitating or supporting or otherwise involved. We do not pass on your personal information to third-party companies.
- You will be given an opportunity to unsubscribe in every marketing email we send.
Using Website Forms
- When you get in touch via the contact forms on the website, we ask you to provide your name and email address.
- We use this information to reply to your enquiry. We do not pass on your personal information to third-party companies unless it is required to solve your enquiry and will ask your permission before we do so.
- We delete each form entry after two months.
Booking Tickets on Eventbrite
- Festival of Ideas does not have its own box office to sell tickets and uses Eventbrite (a third-party service) for events that take place in venues without a designated box office.
- When you book tickets on Eventbrite, we ask that you provide your name, postcode and email address for all bookings. Your postal address, credit or debit card number and expiry date are only required for paid-for events.
- This information is used to issue the tickets for which you are applying and to process your payment for those tickets, when appropriate. We also use the information to manage the event or activity for which you have bought tickets, e.g. to produce an attendance list, to email to give you important information about the events you have booked or to tell you about any changes.
- Attendance lists remain on Eventbrite and are not downloaded to our systems.
- We also use this information for internal analysis, e.g. to examine our audience development and reach. This statistical data is anonymised and is stored securely in electronic format only.
- Your data is always held securely. Access to customer information is strictly controlled and the Eventbrite account can only be accessed by people who need to do their job – it is only made visible to members of staff who have a reason to work with it.
- When booking a ticket, we also ask if you would like to be added to our mailing list. If you choose to be added to our mailing list, we will use the name and email address provided at time of booking to do this. You will be given an opportunity to unsubscribe in every marketing email we send. If you choose not to be added to the mailing list, we will not add you to it.
- The only data we will retain are records of financial past payments (held within Eventbrite) and anonymised statistical data.
Booking tickets through Venue Box Offices
- Some Festival of Ideas events are hosted at venues with their own designated box offices.
- This will be made clear at time of booking.
- The transaction is with that venue/company and we ask you to review their terms and conditions before booking as we do not accept responsibility or liability for their policies.
- We use Survey Monkey, a third-party service, to collect audience data that is required by our funders.
- Completing a survey is optional. A secure link to a survey (over a SSL encrypted connection) is included in an message to Eventbrite bookers after an event. This is sent through Eventbrite so that bookers email addresses are not downloaded and remain secure.
- In the message we explain the reason for the survey, that responses are collected anonymously and we do not track IP addresses.
- All questions within the survey are optional.
Sharing of Your Information
We do not sell your information.
We do not share the information that is provided to us except:
- With third party service providers, such as hosting providers or an email service provider, who provide services to us so that we are able to fulfil our obligations to you or, where we are able to send you marketing information, to do so.
- If we have a legal obligation to disclose your information (for example, if a court orders us to).
- When booking a ticket on Eventbrite, you may be asked if you want to subscribe to another organisation’s mailing list. This is usually a partner organisation that is working with BCDP in the delivery of the event. If you choose to be added, we will provide the organisation with the name and email address you provided at time of booking and they may contact you for marketing purposes. We require that such organisations meet our standards for handling data, and that it is only used for the agreed purpose.
- To opt out of marketing or other communications from another organisation, please get in touch with them directly. They should always provide instructions for opting out in any marketing or other communications you receive.
- If we run an event in partnership with another named organisation (e.g. a venue) we will also share information to enable it to report to its funders and inform its audience development strategy. Any data shared for these purposes will be in an anonymised and aggregated form.
Other Websites and their Privacy Policies
- This website may contain links to external websites managed and maintained by external companies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, cookie policies or the content of such websites or of other third parties.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
We keep your personal information for as long as we need to for the purposes for which it was collected or (if longer) for any period for which we are required to keep personal information to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements or until you ask us to delete your personal data, in accordance with your rights below. We will regularly assess the personal data that we hold to determine its relevance and destroy your personal data if we no longer require it or no longer provide any services to you.
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal data. These include the right to:
- find out how we process your personal data
- request that your personal data is corrected if you believe it is incorrect or inaccurate
- obtain restriction on our, or object to, processing of your personal data
- ask us not to process your personal data for our own marketing purposes
- withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data
- obtain a copy of your personal information which we hold about you. We will take steps to verify your identity before responding to your request and will respond as soon as possible and in any event within a month.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights outlined in this policy or have any questions about the way in which Festival of Ideas/BCDP handles your personal data, please contact Zoe Steadman-Milne, who is responsible for data protection as below:
BCDP, Leigh Court, Abbots Leigh, Bristol BS8 3RA
Telephone: 07825 031118
Or via Contact